On October 8, 2020 at 1 p.m., the Canadian School Boards’ Association will be hosting an online trustee panel of Indigenous leaders (via Zoom) to explore their role as trustees. Moderated by Renee St. Germain, the panel includes Trustee Barb Flett; Trustee and Saskatchewan School Boards’ Association Indigenous Constituency Representative Kimberly Greyeyes; Darren Googoo, Director of Education for Membertou; and Peter Garrow, presently the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne’s Entewatatha:wi (We Will Govern) Program Coordinator.
- How to move away from tokenism towards actual diversity
- Why school boards should reflect those they serve
- Anti-racist professional development for trustees
- Next steps in moving beyond Truth and Reconciliation Commission recommendations to meaningful change
- The importance of accountability
Participants will be able to post questions to panelists during the session.
We encourage all trustees to take part in this important professional development opportunity!