On December 6, Economic Development Minister Todd Smith introduced Bill 66, Restoring Ontario’s Competitiveness Act. The omnibus bill includes changes to 12 different ministries and proposes to change business regulations relating to toxic chemicals, employment standards, child care caps, safety in assembly plants, pawnbrokers, food safety testing, wireless cellphone contracts, agriculture, water extraction permits, wastewater treatment, private career colleges and more. OPSBA is reviewing the proposed changes to the Education Act and the Child Care and Early Years Act.
Current Status: First Reading
This bill was introduced on November 14 by Liberal education critic Kathleen Wynne. If passed, the legislation would make seat belts mandatory on forward-facing school bus seats by 2020.
Current Status: Referred to the Standing Committee on Social Policy
On October 25, Minister of Education Lisa Thompson introduced Bill 48, Safe and Supportive Classrooms Act. The legislation, if passed, would require teachers to pass a math test before getting licensed and would revoke teaching certificates from teachers disciplined by the profession’s regulatory body for committing sexual abuse against a student or child. The bill also proposes an amendment regarding the use of service animals in schools and classrooms. OPSBA will continue to review the proposed changes with the Policy Development and Education Program work teams.
Current Status: Second Reading
Hiring Practices and Class Size Consultations
Earlier this week, OPSBA provided the Ministry of Education with a submission for regulation consultation on Hiring Practices (Ontario Regulation 274/12) and Class Size (Ontario Regulation 132/12). Our submission was based on feedback after consulting with member boards via their trustees (at the Public Education Symposium session), HR leads (senior negotiators), the Association’s Labour Relations Steering Committee, senior staff input and past commentary. The consultation deadline is February 22, 2019.
- February 15, 2019: News Release – EQAO Welcomes Dr. Cameron Montgomery, Chair of Its Board of Directors
- February 6, 2019: News Release – Ontario Takes Decisive Action to Help More Families with Autism
- February 4, 2019: B04 Memo – Technical Details for the Release of EPO Funding to Support Executive Compensation
- February 1, 2019: B05 Memo – CUPE Violence Prevention Training
- EQAO Memo – Invitation to School Board Trustees – EQAO Web Conferences – information about three upcoming web conferences to be held on March 18, March 19 and March 20, 2019. Registration deadline is March 8, 2019.