Ontario Public School Boards’ Association elections will be held as part of the Annual General Meeting (AGM) on June 9 to 11, 2022 in Ottawa.
Information about elected positions and the nomination process is summarized below. More details are available in the OPSBA Roles and Responsibilities Guide and Candidates’ Election Guide. All trustees, candidates and (Voting) Delegates are encouraged to familiarize themselves with these documents prior to submitting nominations and/or voting at the AGM.
Tuesday, May 10, 2022 @ 4:30 p.m.
A list of nominees and their biographies will be published in the OPSBA Election Guide and distributed to member boards and (Voting) Delegates. It will also be posted on the OPSBA AGM page.
ELECTIONS FOR 2022-2023
Elections for three executive positions will occur at the 2022 AGM for a two-year term beginning immediately following the election and ending upon election of a successor at the 2024 AGM.
- First Vice-President
- Second Vice-President
Elections for the following positions for each of the five Regional Councils (Central East, Central West, Eastern, Western and Northern) will occur at each Regional meeting at this year’s AGM.
- Regional Chair*
- Regional Vice-Chair
- Two regional representatives and one alternate on the Policy Development Work Group
- Two regional representatives and one alternate on the Education Program Work Group
* The five Regional Chairs are members of Executive Council and the Board of Directors along with the President, First Vice-President, Second Vice-Presidents and Vice-Presidents of Enrolment
Selection of Board of Directors members to represent the group of school authorities, children’s treatment centres and the Indigenous Trustees’ Council will occur separately, prior to Regional Meetings at the AGM.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR CANDIDATES
President, First Vice-President, Second Vice-President or Regional Chair Positions
- Any trustee currently serving on a member board is eligible to run for these positions.
- The nomination deadline is 30 days prior to the AGM. Nomination forms and biographies must be received by 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, May 10, 2022. Details about the nomination process are outlined below and in the Candidates’ Election Guide.
- Nominations will ONLY be accepted from the floor at the AGM and/or Regional Council meetings if no nominations have been received in advance. If only one nomination is received by the nomination deadline for these positions, that person shall be declared acclaimed and noted in the AGM Handbook.
- Candidates who are interested in standing for more than one position are encouraged to declare their interest in each position by the nomination deadline. This will help member boards and voting delegates in their deliberations in advance of the AGM and Regional elections.
Regional Vice-Chair and Regional Representatives on Core Issue Work Groups
- To be eligible to run for the position of Regional Vice-Chair, candidates must be appointed to the OPSBA Board of Directors by their member board, group of school authorities or children’s treatment centres or Indigenous Trustees’ Council and confirmed at the Regional meeting. More information about the confirmation and nomination processes is outlined below and in the Candidates’ Election Guide.
- Any trustee currently serving on a member board is eligible to be a member of a Core Issue Work Group.
- Advance nominations are encouraged; however, the nomination and election process, for the position of Regional Vice-Chair (alternate to the Regional Chair) and regional representatives on the Education Program and Policy Development Work Groups, permits nominations to be taken from the floor at the Regional meeting.
- During Regional meetings at the AGM, elections to select regional members and alternate members to serve on the Education Program and Policy Development Work Groups will be held. Northern Sub-Region East and Northern Sub-Region West areas will each elect one representative and one alternate to each of the work groups.
- Nominees are asked to submit their nomination form and a one-page biography by 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, May 10, 2022.
Nominations, Nomination Forms and Biographies
- Nominations can be made by any trustee from a member board, in good standing, once they have confirmed the nominee is eligible and willing to stand for the Self-nomination is permitted.
- Nomination forms and a brief biography (in an electronic format) for each candidate must be submitted no later than 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, May 10, 2022 by email to email@example.com.
- Candidate biographies should be no longer than one page in length and include the candidate’s This information will be included in the Elections Guide and communicated as outlined above.
Confirmation of Board of Directors Members for the 2022-2023 Term
- At Regional meetings held during the AGM, (Voting) Delegates from each member board will confirm their school board’s appointed Board of Directors member(s) and alternate(s). This will happen prior to the election of Regional Vice-Chair.
- School authorities, children’s treatment centres and the Indigenous Trustees’ Council will meet, prior to Regional Meetings at the AGM, and elect their representative on the Board of They will each provide written confirmation of their Board of Directors representative (and alternate) prior to the AGM.
All nomination and election material will be available on the OPSBA AGM and Program page.
For more information: Lisa Reinhardt, Director of Corporate Affairs, Email OPSBA at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone at 416-340-2540.