Provincial Election 2018
It’s official – On May 8, Premier Kathleen Wynne asked Lieutenant Governor Elizabeth Dowdeswell to dissolve the final session of the 41st Parliament of the Province of Ontario, effective as of 2 p.m. The writ will be issued naming Thursday, June 7, as the date of Ontario’s next general election.
OPSBA will continue to post answers the answers to our Priorities Questionnaire from the four main political party leaders. The NDP and Liberal Party have shared their answers and we expect replies from the PC and Green parties soon. Once all platforms are released, we will cross reference their education pledges with our priorities. All election resources and related information can be found at: Resources for the 2018 OntarioProvincial Election.
And don’t forget we need your local support for OPSBA Education Day on Wednesday, May 23, 2018. Trustees and boards can choose to participate in Education Day activities anytime during the week of May 22-25, 2018. Resources can be found on our webpage. Please send us the details for any local plans.
School Board Governance – One newly updated Regulation
On May 3, 2018, OntarioRegulation 7/07 Student Trustees was filed and posted. This updated regulation allows student trustees to have one to two year terms, staggered terms and moves their election date. This regulation filing follow recent updates and additions to other governance-related matters including Code of Conduct, Honoraria and Electronic Meetings. Attached is the memo sent to Directors of Education about these four regulations. All governance-related submissions, memos, and letters are posted on our website’s SchoolBoard Governance section.
Ministry memo re Regulatory Amendments, May 7, 2018
Other Ministry Memos
- May 8, 2018. Supporting Schools – Recreational Cannabis Legalization: Revised Funding Allocations. This memo includes board-by-board funding to support specific training needs. The memo also provides links to Ministry of Education resources, including fact sheets for parents/guardians/caregivers as well as a fact sheet for educators. Another resource is intended for youth with factual information about the risks/misuse. Click here for additional information.
- May 3, 2018. Musical Instrument Refurbishment. This memo describes Music Canada’s program to refurbish and repair musical instruments in schools.
- May 3, 2018. Growing Together: Ontario’s Early Years and Child Care Workforce Strategy. This memo outlines the ministry’s strategy for stronger workforce in the early years and child care sector. It outlines five areas of action:
- Establishing fair compensation
- Improving working conditions
- Enhancing skills and opportunities
- Valuing contributions
- Increasing recruitment