Update, February 2020
- facilitating the sale of cannabis for consumption in establishments like lounges and cafes (cannabis consumption establishments); and,
- cannabis special occasion permits (SOPs).
The government’s news release stated they would be meeting with “key groups, including industry representatives, public health and safety organizations, education stakeholders and Indigenous representatives, to ensure their expertise and advice help to inform next steps.”
Bill 36, Cannabis Statute Law Amendment Act, 2018
This bill was introduced by Attorney General Caroline Mulroney on September 27, 2018 and received Royal Assent on the federal legalization day of October 17, 2018. The Cannabis Statute Law Amendment Act allowed private retail stores to be open for business by April 1, 2019. Municipalities had until January 22, 2019, to opt out of having stores in their communities. The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) will be the registrar for licences. A 15-day public consultation period for communities to weigh in on the location of stores was mandated as well, but the final decision rests with the AGCO.
For more information, including where cannabis may be used, visit the Government of Ontario’s Cannabis Legalization website.
- The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario’s Cannabis Retail Regulation Guide
- October 11, 2018 – OPSBA Submission re: Bill 36, Cannabis Statue Law Amendment Act, 2018
- October 11, 2018 – Association of Municipalities of Ontario recommendations on Bill 36, Cannabis Statute Law Amendment Act, 2018
- March 26, 2018 – Ministry of Education memo to Directors of Education: Supporting Schools – Recreational Cannabis Legalization
- November 30, 2017 – OPSBA’s Submission regarding Bill 174, Cannabis, Smoke-Free Ontario and Road Safety Statute Law Amendment Act, 2017 (and President Laurie French and Executive Director Rusty Hick’s speaking notes)
- The Government of Ontario’s cannabis legalization information hub
- Canadian School Boards Association Declaration regarding the impact of cannabis legalization on schools
- September 19, 2017 – OPSBA Letter to ministry staff re: cannabis legalization implementation
- September 8, 2017, Ministry of Education presentation to OPSBA’s work teams
- November 1, 2017, Government News Release: Ontario Preparing for Federal Cannabis Legalization
- September 8, 2017 Government News Release: Ontario Releases Safe and Sensible Framework To Manage Federal Legalization of Cannabis
- September 18, 2017, Government News Release: Ontario Improving Road Safety Ahead of Cannabis Legalization
- On April 19, 2017, Ministry of Education memo to Directors of Education entitled “Legalization of Cannabis – Supports for Schools.”