The Ontario Public School Boards’ Association Awards Program strives to recognize some of the outstanding contributions made by individuals across Ontario to our educational system. While it is impossible to honour all those special people who make a difference, the recipients of these awards represent the many people who work behind the scenes and make our schools and educational system better.
The OPSBA awards honour dedicated people who demonstrated their own commitment to public education and showed us the way. We congratulate the recipients of these awards.
The recipient of this student award is selected on the basis of a sound academic record throughout their career, accompanied by outstanding community service and leadership. The 2021 Award of Merit was presented to Suraj Bansal, Bayview SS, York Region DSB.
A Certificate of Recognition was awarded to the following students:
- Aaliyah Jaleel, Dunbarton High School, Durham DSB
- Maya Lekhi, Thornlea Secondary School, York Region DSB
These awards are presented by local boards to volunteers for outstanding, exemplary and/or unique contributions to the overall well-being of the school or community through in-school, board-wide, extra-curricular and/or volunteer activity. The 2021 Award of Excellence was presented to Tanya Moses, Alternative Secondary School Support Worker, Thunder Bay Indigenous Friendship Centre. Lakehead DSB.
OPSBA Achievement Awards were presented to the following individuals:
- Tanya Moses – Alternative Secondary School Support Worker, Thunder Bay Indigenous Friendship Centre, Lakehead DSB
- Steve Shonosky – Volleyball Coach, Westgate Collegiate and Vocational Institute, Lakehead DSB
- Wilma Kleynendorst – Member, Dilico Anishinabek Family Care Representative, Special Education Advisory Committee, Lakehead DSB
The Bernardine Yackman Memorial Award honours a trustee who has served a Northern Ontario public school board. Nominations are reviewed at the end of June and presented at the Northern Region Meeting and Program in October. Judging for the award takes place in September. The last recipient was Trustee Wanda McQueen, Algoma DSB in 2017.
The President’s Award recognizes persons with 25 years of service in public education. The 2021 recipient is Avon Maitland DSB Trustee Colleen Schenk.
This award is given to an active or retired public school trustee for outstanding service as a public school trustee. The 2021 recipients are Trustee Colleen Schenk, Avon Maitland DSB, and retired Trustee Ted Martin, Waterloo Region DSB.
The Fred L. Bartlett Memorial Award is given to an active or retired member of the teaching profession for outstanding contribution to education in Ontario. This may consist of constructive participation in education affairs over a number of years or for work on some recent and specific project which has had provincial impact. The 2021 recipient is Martha Rogers, Director of Education, Upper Grand DSB.
- Guidelines for Awards Jurying
- Nominations Submission Guidelines and Nomination Form
- Achievement Award/Award of Excellence
- Bernardine Yackman Memorial Award
- Dr. Harry Paikin Award of Merit
- Fred L. Bartlett Memorial Award
- Jack A. MacDonald Award of Merit
- President’s Award
For further information, contact email@example.com.