The Ontario Public School Boards’ Association Awards Program strives to recognize some of the outstanding contributions made by individuals across Ontario to our educational system. While it is impossible to honour all those special people who make a difference, the recipients of these awards represent the many people who work behind the scenes and make our schools and educational system better.
The OPSBA awards honour dedicated people who demonstrated their own commitment to public education and showed us the way. We congratulate the recipients of these awards.
2024 OPSBA Awards
Know an amazing trustee, teacher, education worker, student or community member who deserves to be recognized for making a difference in their local school or community?
The nomination deadline for 2024 is April 5, 2024, at 4:30 p.m. The nomination form can be accessed online.
The nomination deadline for the 2024 Bernardine Yackman Memorial Award is June 7, 2024, at 4:30 p.m.
The recipient of this student award is selected on the basis of a sound academic record throughout their career, accompanied by outstanding community service and leadership. The 2023 Award of Merit was presented to Braydon Anthony Bandurka, Cobourg Collegiate Institute, Kawartha Pine Ridge DSB.
A Certificate of Recognition was awarded to the following students:
- Calvin Bell, Beaver Valley Community School, Bluewater DSB
- Gavin Hickey, Sir Wilfrid Laurier SS, Ottawa Carleton DSB
These awards are presented by local boards to volunteers for outstanding, exemplary and/or unique contributions to the overall well-being of the school or community through in-school, board-wide, extra-curricular and/or volunteer activity.
OPSBA 2023 Achievement Awards were presented to the following individuals:
- Susan Neal, Forest Valley Elementary School, Ottawa-Carleton DSB
- Phillip Rennison, Lisgar C.I., Ottawa-Carleton DSB
- Sandra Pedersen, Bells Corners P.S., Ottawa-Carleton DSB
- Andrew Jarabek, Bells Corners P.S., Ottawa-Carleton DSB
- Natasha Klages, Chesley District Community School, Bluewater DSB
- Marianne Stewart & the School and Family Health Team, Lakehead DSB
- Nolan Steen Tutoring Services, Hastings and Prince Edward DSB
- Frank Lew, Greenbank Public School, Durham DSB
- Phouvieng Sackda, Zion Heights Middle School, Toronto DSB
- Laurie Vonk, Victoria Terrace P.S., Upper Grand DSB
- Gary Adduono, Terrace Bay Public Elementary School, Superior Greenstone DSB
- Romana Siddiqui, Parent Involvement Committee, Peel DSB
- Ranil Mendis, Ontario Schools Cricket Association, Peel DSB
The Bernardine Yackman Memorial Award honours a trustee who has served a Northern Ontario public school board. Nominations are reviewed at the end of June and presented at the Northern Region Meeting and Program in October. Judging for the award takes place in September. The 2022 recipients are Jay Aspin, Near North DSB retired trustee, and Raymond Roy, Rainy River DSB retired trustee.
The President’s Award recognizes persons with 25 years of trustee service in public education. The 2023 recipients were:
- Judy Hunda, Trustee, Rainbow DSB
- Dena Morrison, Trustee, Rainbow DSB
This award is given to an active or retired public school trustee for outstanding service as a public school trustee. The 2023 recipient was Trustee Doreen Dewar, Rainbow DSB.
The Fred L. Bartlett Memorial Award is given to an active or retired member of the teaching profession for outstanding contribution to education in Ontario. This may consist of constructive participation in education affairs over a number of years or for work on some recent and specific project which has had provincial impact. The 2023 recipient was Jon Swaine, Teacher, Limestone DSB.
- Guidelines for Awards Jurying
- Nominations Submission Guidelines and Nomination Form
- Achievement Award/Award of Excellence
- Bernardine Yackman Memorial Award
- Dr. Harry Paikin Award of Merit
- Fred L. Bartlett Memorial Award
- Jack A. MacDonald Award of Merit
- President’s Award
For further information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.