The Legislative Assembly of Ontario adjourns for Winter Recess after December 14, 2017, leaving eight sitting days left this session. It will then resume on Tuesday, February 20, 2018.
Bill 174, Cannabis, Smoke-Free Ontario and Road Safety Statute Law Amendment Act, 2017
On November 30, Rusty Hick, our Executive Director and President Laurie French addressed the Standing Committee on Justice Policy regarding Bill 174, Cannabis, Smoke-Free Ontario and Road Safety Statute Law Amendment Act, 2017. The bill has been time allocated which means it is moving fairly quickly through the legislative process. The focus of our remarks were to highlight the importance of education throughout the implementation of the legalization of recreational cannabis. Our remarks included:
- The concept of youth prevention programs and how we can support youth with a circle of care.
- Changes to the Education Act that will be required by our boards in terms of updating policies and procedures.
- The linkages between regular cannabis use, adolescent brain development and mental health and addictions.
- Site locations for the standalone stores that will be selling cannabis and paraphernalia in our communities.
- Future revenues from the sale of cannabis and where these monies might be directed.
Our written submission includes more commentary on the above and other parts of the overall bill. The Committee meets next on December 4 for clausal review and will return to the House for Third Reading.