OPSBA’s 2020 Public Education Symposium (PES) was held from January 23 to 25 at the Sheraton Centre in Toronto, in partnership with the Association des conseils scolaires des écoles publiques de l’Ontario (ACÉPO).
- This year’s PES featured a number of relevant keynote speakers including:
- Minister of Education Stephen Lecce
- Nik Nanos, Chief Data Scientist at Nanos Research
- Michael Fullan, Director, Global Leadership
- Ziya Tong, Canadian television personality and producer
- Nouman Ashraf, Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream, Director, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion, Rotman School of Management
The conference provided an engaging and informative professional development opportunity for more than 300 public school trustees and senior school board staff.
Workshops and plenary sessions for trustees included:
- Legal Restrictions on the Role of Trustee as Advocate
- TED Ed Student panel moderated by York Region DSB teacher Will Gourley
- Director of Education: Performance Appraisal – Policy and Procedures
- Meeting Labour Market Needs for French as a Second Language Instruction in Ontario – What is Being Learned?
- Strong Governance Practices and Locally Elected School Trustees
- Communications and Advocacy in your Local Community
- Code of Conduct, Conflict of interest and Integrity Commissioners
- Workshop for Student Trustees
Students from Peel DSB’s Mayfield SS animation program provided an outstanding presentation of their learning through filmmaking on Thursday evening. An incredible performance from Ottawa’s Chorale de la Salle of the Conseil des écoles publiques de l’Est de l’Ontario had Friday evening’s attendees giving multiple standing ovations.
Algoma DSB Trustee Russell Reid, Ottawa-Carleton DSB Chair Lynn Scott, and Renfrew Country DSB trustee David Shields were the recipients of OPSBA President’s Award, which recognizes trustees with 25 years of service to public education in Ontario.
View tweets: #PESym20
Future OPSBA Events
We look forward to seeing you at future OPSBA events. Save these dates today!
Education Labour Relations and Human Resources Symposium 2020
April 30 and May 1, 2020, Toronto
OPSBA Annual General Meeting and Program
June 4 to 6, 2020, Ottawa