This update includes news about:
- Legislative Business for the Week of June 26
- Ministry of Education Communications
- OPSBA Summer Advocacy Actions and Activities
- Other News and Information
Legislative Business for Week of June 26
The Legislative Assembly of Ontario remains adjourned for summer recess and returns September 25, 2023. This week the government announced by-elections on July 27 for the ridings of Kanata-Carleton and Scarborough-Guildwood. These were created by the vacancies of Merrilee Fullerton and Mitzie Hunter. Information on candidates, how to vote, advance polling and other key dates can be found on the Elections Ontario website.
In the City of Toronto mayoral by-election, former city councillor Olivia Chow won with 37 percent. Chow is expected to take office on July 12.
OPSBA has received feedback from the Education Program and Policy Development Work Groups on the draft response to the current regulation postings from Bill 98, Better Schools and Student Outcomes Act, 2023. A final submission will be sent to the Ministry of Education next week and posted on our website.
Note: There will be a summer break of these Provincial Updates unless critical and timely information needs to be shared.
Ministry of Education Communications
- June 26, 2023: memo re Health Services in Schools
- June 21, 2023: Revised Appendix to the June 13 memo: The Better Schools and Student Outcomes Act, 2023 receives Royal Assent (Note: The changes refer to three amendment areas and details about when and how they “come into force.” The changes are highlighted in the attached revised memo.
- Minister of Education End of Year Video and Message
OPSBA Summer Advocacy Actions and Activities
Canadian School Board Association (CSBA) Congress and National Trustee Gathering on Indigenous Education
This year’s Congress and Gathering are being held next week in Banff, Alberta, from July 3 to 5. Trustees from across the country will gather to participate in workshops and hear from renowned keynote speakers, including former Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi and The Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, 27th Governor General and Commander in Chief of Canada (2005-2010).
OPSBA President Cathy Abraham and Executive Director Stephanie Donaldson will represent the Association. Stay tuned soon for more information on the OPSBA-hosted 2024 CSBA Congress and National Trustee Gathering on Indigenous Education, which will take place in July 2024 in Toronto at the Westin Harbour Castle.
Association of Municipalities of Ontario (AMO) Annual General Meeting and Conference
This year, the AMO conference will be held in London, Ontario from August 20 to 23, 2023, and features keynote speaker The Honourable Catherine McKenna, Former Minister of the Environment and Climate Change. OPSBA President Cathy Abraham, OPSBA First Vice-President Kathleen Woodcock, and senior staff will be attending and meeting with key stakeholders.
Ontario Human Rights Commission (OHRC) Action Plan to Tackle Anti-Black Racism in Education
OPSBA staff and the Black Trustees’ Caucus will be connecting to discuss this OHRC request for written submissions “to Develop an Action Plan to Tackle Anti-Black Racism in Education.” Written submissions will be accepted until September 30, 2023.
Other News Releases and Information
- June 29, 2023: News Release, Ontario Delivers 2,900 Additional Affordable Child Care Spaces in Ottawa
- June 29, 2023: Memo SB07, 2023-24 Student Transportation Grant and Enhanced Reporting
- June 28, 2023: News Release, Ontario Supporting More Innovation in Growing Tech Sector
- June 27, 2023: Office of the Integrity Commissioner of Ontario, 2022-2023 Annual Report
- June 27, 2023: News Release, Governments of Canada and Ontario invest over $4 million to bring high-speed internet access to more than 400 homes
- June 2023: Office of the Ontario Ombudsman, Newsletter