January 24 to 26
A new workshop has been added on Friday at 3:00 p.m. titled, “The Ontario Ombudsman and School Boards.” Attendees will be able to choose this workshop on site.
Hotel Reservations – Hotel cut-off date was Monday, January 7.
Additional hotel information is located at the bottom of this post.
OPSBA’s 2019 Public Education Symposium (PES) is the premier professional learning event of the year for school board trustees and offers outstanding keynote speakers who are experts in their field, dynamic, stimulating and interactive sessions, opportunities to discuss the future of education and time to network with colleagues across the province. Trustees, Directors of Education, supervisory officers and student trustees are warmly encouraged to attend PES 2019.
These are just some of the sessions being planned for you:
Thursday, January 24, 7:30 p.m.: Minister of Education
Thursday, January 24: DON DRUMMOND, Adjunct Professor, School of Policy Studies, Queen’s University
“Educating in a World Where Education is Everything”
Consensus is building that education is the answer to many of societies’ goals including stronger economic growth, less poverty and better health outcomes. These aspirations will be on a collision course with constrained public resources. Better ways of delivering education will be required but ideology too often prevails over evidence in that dialogue.
Friday, January 25: MICHAEL “PINBALL” CLEMONS
“The Importance of Teamwork”
Few people exemplify the qualities of personal excellence, teamwork, community leadership, and overcoming the odds better than CFL legend Michael “Pinball” Clemons. With boundless energy Pinball’s talk centres on the potential for each of us to achieve anything we set our minds to.
PLENARY SESSIONS & WORKSHOPS with time for discussion and Q. & A.
- Parliamentary Procedures– both Basic and Advanced
- Labour Relations – Collective Agreements Are Expiring : What’s Next?
- Trust with Respectful Oversight: What does an effective relationship look like between the Board of Trustees and Administration?
- Role of the Trustee, Role of the Chair, Relationships within School Boards
- Everything a Trustee needs to know about Best Practices for Board Meetings; Conflict Resolution and the Purpose of Code of Conduct; Requests for Trustee Emails and complying with privacy legislation.
- Current Issues and Hot Topics in Education – Panel presentation
- Trustees and Their Boards – The Legal Framework
- Reconciliation in Education: The Role of the Indigenous Trustee
- What Does OPSBA Do for You? How can you get involved? Professional Development Modules and Government Legislation; Special Education; Mental Health
- *** NEW workshop: The Ontario Ombudsman and School Boards ***
Additional Hotel Information
The room block is
sold out. We’ve been able to secure a rate of $261.99 (single/double) in case people still
require accommodation. Please contact the hotel directly for reservations.
1-888-627-7175 (reservations centre). Please quote the group name “OPSBA Public Education Symposium 2019” or the group code “OA30AB” in order to receive the preferred rate. After this deadline, rooms will be available on a space-available basis only.