This update includes news about:
- Legislative Business for the Week of June 19
- Update: Bill 98, Better Schools and Student Outcomes Act, 2023
- Ministry of Education Communications
- Other News and Information
Legislative Business for Week of June 19
The Legislative Assembly of Ontario has adjourned for summer recess. This week, the Ministry of Education welcomed its new Deputy Minister, Kate Manson-Smith. She participated in yesterday’s bi-weekly call with school board chairs, which will take a break for the summer. OPSBA has reached out to the new DM and will be setting up a meeting with the senior team to discuss the Association’s priorities and advocacy plans.
This legislation was introduced by Minister of Education Stephen Lecce and received Royal Assent on June 8, 2023. As part of its next step in the consultation process, the government has posted information regarding three regulations which are available on Ontario’s Regulatory Registry website. OPSBA’s senior staff have created a draft submission which has been shared with the Education Program and Policy Development Work Groups for their feedback and input. This will be sent in to the ministry and meet the deadline of July 12, 2023.
Ministry of Education Communications
- June 20, 2023: Memo, Ministry Communications to District School Boards – June 2023
- June 21, 2023: Memo, Issuance of revised The Ontario Curriculum, Grades 1-8, Language, 2023 and new English, Grade 9 (ENL1W)
Other News Releases and Information
- June 22, 2023: News Release, Ontario Expanding Personal Support Worker Training Program in Long-Term Care
- June 21, 2023: News Release, Ontario Launches New Fund to Build Skilled Trades Training Centres
- June 20, 2023: Office of the Auditor General of Ontario Report, What Gets Measured Gets Managed: Ministries’ Performance Measurement, Program Evaluation and Annual Reporting